Re: compact distributions for old equipment

Ray Olszewski wrote:

> I don't myself know, but Rob's original posting talked about using the VGA16
> server, which is 16 colors ( = 4 bpp, for the less technical members of the
> list). But as I said in an earlier message, the memory difference between
> the VGA16 and SVGA (8 bpp, = 256 colors) servers is quite small - only
> around 100k. The real question is whether these oldies have SVGA video at all.

That's the question really. I've only worked with these intel machines for about 2
years coming from a Risc world so I've not much idea about how these VGA graphics
cards work. Doesn't a standard VGA manage 8bpp or is that only in a low res. mode.
I suppose it depends on the memory on the card.

Of course, if everyone who's been writing recently answers the question we could
get something of an idea.

Could Doug e-mail the computerbank in Australia and see what they have to say
about that - Doug?

In the meantime I've been looking at fvwm95 in 4bpp. I might hack this sometime.
Coming up with a more secure and simple window manager is one of the things "Linux
for Kids" will be involved in.

I think the 4bpp there isn't bad really it should be just a case of picking a good
colour palette and making sure that the software sticks to it. Special versions of
software maybe with slightly more limited features are in order here.

What about sound cards? Didn't some of these older machines have basic sound
blaster cards? Have you tried the Esound deamon?

On another note, I've started the first word pro/all singing dancing presentation
sequencing thingy. Development will probably be slow over the summer though since
we've got a CD ROM to do and an educational website - Maybe another CD as well.

Roman.