Re: Web Site

> Ian and everyone - If we want a cross platform hyperstudio then
> why not have a quick TCL program that lets you design and test a
> stack and also have a Java reader. That should do the trick.
>
> As for different computer configurations, screen sizes etc. These
> are really design issues. It doesn't matter which program you
> have, you can't really write one that covers absolutely
> everything.
>
> It should be easy to knock out a simple hyperstudio type program
> in TCL/TK quite easily. I know you'd have to download dlls to
> install on Windows etc. but you'd have to download the software
> anyway so what's the problem there?

The benefit of HTML is that you don't have to download anything to
view the produced content.  This is, IMHO, a considerable
advantage.  Parents can view their childrens' work at home.  The
produced output can be distributed easily to schools which haven't
yet seen the light.  And the content won't be tied to its means of
creation -- someone can make something feeling confident that if
the program they are using fades away (isn't maintained, whatever)
the content will still be usable.

The nastiest catch for HTML is probably that the rendered HTML
will usually look slightly different than you intended, and
encorporating a renderer with the editor would be difficult.

As to Java -- I've had horrible luck with Java programs myself.  I've
yet to use one that is actually functional and useful, not to mention
installing properly.  I wouldn't use Java instead of Tcl/Tk just
because of portability.  Now *squeak* -- that's portable.  They are
pushing the multimedia thing too.  But it's experimental and not
very modular.  I sense the core group is doing things directed at
children as well, but they haven't been very public about it.  The
rest of the community doesn't seem much concerned with kids.

> We seem to be getting into these discussions about multimedia
> authoring tools but wouldn't it be better to talk about multimedia
> content first and then decide what to write to facilitate it. I
> was always taught that you write a program based on your data and
> not the other way around.

This is what I've been thinking about... I don't see HyperStudio
being used in ways that go beyond what HTML is capable of.  It
does go beyond what HTML *editors* can do, but that's a matter of
priorities as much as anything.

The actual content seems to mostly be text intermixed with
graphics, in a linear or almost-linear (e.g., tree) structure.
Occasionally a bit of sound or an animation, usually as background
or atmosphere rather than being directly part of the content.

It does allow diagrams and any other sort of graphic to be
integrated with the text in nearly any way you wish.  I don't know if
people actually use this in novel ways, though.

There is quite a bit of glitz.  My reactionary side says that this is
seldom necessary and need not be encouraged.  However, that's a
bit judgemental of me.  Kids will make many a tacky presentation
with HyperStudio, but that's appropriate.  You have to make tacky
things before you learn other aesthetics.  Enforcing an aesthetic on
them won't make them learn to like it.  And they enjoy the glitz,
even if it isn't educational.

Come to think of it, I haven't seen much that doesn't look pretty
much like a written report/presentation stylistically translated to a
slightly different medium.  Which isn't to say that something more
can't be done, just that it usually isn't made that way.  Probably
has a lot to do with the way the program is introduced to the
students.

Well, that's my take on what content from HyperStudio looks like.
I don't know if this is a product of the program or the intention of the
authors.  Probably both.

--
Ian Bicking <bickiia@earlham.edu>