Generating voice files was Re: gperiodic

I changed the name of the thread since this could be used in all sorts of
applications. It sounds to me that our first goal is to find a procedure for
generating a voice file. I used the term voice file since I'm a little in the dark
myself. I've got some idea what a .wav file is. One's taking a digital sample of
speech at some fraction of a second. I assume a .au file is an audio file. I'm
guessing the difference is in how the data in encoded, compressed whatever. In any
case one is going to need a microphone and whatever goes with it. I would assume
this is readily available for Windows, however I would sure prefer to do it with
Linux. In worst case is a Windows .wav or .au file the same as a Linux .wav or .au
file considering the difference in file systems. In other words if one had to do it
with Windows, could the file just be transferred directly across a dual booted
system. Just some initial thoughts.

Bob