Re: Squeak as HyperCard

Ian Bicking wrote:

> I'm now wondering what level education seul-edu is aimed at.  Any
> educational setting, or does it exclude college from its goals.  In
> terms of CS at the college level, I don't see any particular benefit
> seul-edu would provide.  Public labs at colleges are probably fairly
> similar to any public lab, though... and all the other computer use
> at colleges seems very ad hoc.  Maybe at community colleges...
> they seem to put more thought into the over-all curriculum, which
> would include computer use.  Anyway, does seul-edu target all
> levels?

Although I don't think explicitly mentioned, I've always figured that
seul-edu was directed at education from birth until entry to college.
We are concentrating on scholastic education at the moment, but I don't
consider that our only area of exploration.  College and university
education is such that many if not most of the available end-user Linux
applications would be educationally applicable.  It's at levels below
that that specific administrative and pedagogical software are needed.

> Basic should definately be included on the list.  Though no one
> may actually want to stand behind it as a language, it does have a
> history in education and there are several implementations for
> Linux.

Much as we would prefer it to be otherwise, you're right.  Any thoughts
on which Basics are most useful in an educational setting?

> Then there's potential directions in languages, like Boxer and
> ToonTalk, which deserve pointers from seul-edu even if they can't
> be run on Linux.

We'll have to think carefully about how to point to things that can't be
run on Linux.  We don't want to create confusion by including such on a
page of Linux educational programming languages without some obvious and
unambiguous indication that these are meant as examples of possible
directions for Linux to go rather than languages useable on Linux.