Re: Proposed mission statement

Doug Loss wrote:

> Here's a proposal for a seul-edu mission statement, taken from our
> monthly posting guidelines message:
> -----
> Seul-edu is intended for discussion about using Linux for educational
> purposes.  These include using Linux for student machines in school
> computer labs (primarily kindergarten through grade 12), using Linux for
> faculty and staff use in K12 schools, using Linux for network file,
> print, and application servers on K12 school networks, and using Linux
> for educational purposes on home computers.
> -----
> Do we need to say more than this?  This talks primarily about
> discussion, not implementation.  Should we add a line or two about
> finding and listing existing Linux educational software, and developing
> software in areas where none currently exists?

Doug, I'm assuming that what you're calling a mission statement, I would
call an "About".  For me a mission statement would be the first sentence.
I'm saying this because I'm pondering how you intend to use it as well as
what Roman is doing. I would layout the SEUL home page and the SEUL-EDU
home page the same way. For me, the layout isn't as important as being
consistent and the content. Using the layout of the SEUL home page as an
example, I would layout the SEUL-EDU page in a similar manner with the
strip going all the way down the left edge of the page. I would put what
you're calling the mission statement and I'm calling the "About" in the
left edge strip as a link to a separate page allowing for as much expansion
or detail as one wants. Then I would replace what is currently in the right
hand block below the title with a single sentence that I'm referring to as
a mission statement. I would do the same thing on the SEUL home page, that
is have just a single sentence at the top. Anyway here is my try at a SEUL
and SEUL-EDU mission statement.
SEUL is a volunteer project to help spread the use of Linux among ordinary
end users.
SEUL-EDU is a volunteer project to help spread the use of Linux throughout
the field of education.
Anyway I would cover both discussion and implementation. Also in the second
sentence, I would change "These include" to "These discussions include". I
wouldn't leave any chance for anything to get misinterpreted. Anyway my
thoughts.

Bob