Open Book

I just tried the link to the Open Book Project on our Projects page
and got a "404 Not Found" error.  A quick search of the web doesn't find
anything about this project other than our listing.  Does anyone know if
it has truely disappeared?  If so, we'll remove it from the list ASAP.

   However, the basic idea behind it is still a good one.  In doing a
bit of searching of the web I found this:

<http://xent.ics.uci.edu/~khare/Paper.htmld/index.html>

It's dated, but I can get in touch with Rohit Khare and see where things
currently stand.  It looks as though this may be a more robust system
for generating WWW-based textbooks anyway.  Please look at this link and
tell us what you think.  If at least a few of you show an interest, I'll
contact Rohit and see about getting his authoring tools ported to
GNUstep (which would probably be the quickest way to make them available
on Linux; it doesn't look as though a Windows version is likely,
although a Mac OS X one might be).

   While I'd like to have the open-content textbook project be
associated with seul-edu rather than be ours entirely, I think it's
important enough that if no one else will do it we should.  Hey, it may
be a way to get Linux workstations into schools, if teachers can use
this authoring tool to generate multimedia textbooks and the tool can
only run on Linux or NeXTStep.

   Mark Dalton, this might be just the thing for your Clickable Cell
Biology Course.