Open Books and XML

Here's a specification I found that seems to be designed for at least part of what we're looking for:

<http://openebook.org/>

It's intended for electronic book reading systems.  I don't know if it handles
hyperlinks, but I'm not sure if we want to do links in a textbook anyway.  It
occurs to me that if the intent of all this is to make texts available for
schools that may not be able to afford them, making them useable primarily on
the WWW may be wrong-headed.  If a school can't afford new texts, is it likely
to be able to keep enough computers internet connected for all the students to
read our texts on?  It's more likely (I think) that the texts will be printed
off the net and copied on paper for all the students in a class.

Anyway, take a look at OEB 1.0, the Open eBook Document Type Definition.  I
think it's something we may want to support.

Doug Loss            Always acknowledge a fault.  This will throw
dloss@csrlink.net    those in authority off their guard and give
(570) 326-3987       you the opportunity to commit more.
                        Mark Twain