Re: Open Book

Doug Loss wrote:

> Robert Hopcroft wrote:
> > Somebody just asked about  the idea
> > of people wanting a particular piece of software contributing to a pool
> > of programers to write it for them. Such a program is mentioned in the
> > August Linux Journal page 100, see http://www.cosource.com.
>
> I looked at this and think it's interesting.  I'm not sure how we would
> or should make use of it.  Could the rest of you take a look here and
> see which of our ongoing projects and todo list projects should be
> registered here?

Sorry, I wasn't clear. I wasn't thinking of the above for seul-edu but for
our proprietary friends. I believe they are on the wrong side of history and
here is a way of starting a transition to providing open source software. I
worked in the environment and I saw the waste of Fortune 500 companies
thinking they could gain a strategic advantage by writting their own unique
software. They were all doing the same thing. Had they pooled their
resources, they could have accomplished a lot more for a lot less. Instead
they created a big mess. Nothing worked with anything else. People move from
company to company. They have to learn something new. Conpanies interact
with other companies, they have suppliers, etc. Hopefully they will see the
strategic advantage of shared support for open source programers.

Bob