RE: Edutainment (was Re: Open Book)

> > What about a nature walk. I can remember when I was a kid and going
> > on a walk and having various things in nature pointed out.
> [snipped a description of a fascinating experiment]
> > Anyway would something like this fit into the edutainment picture.
> > One could do sound tracks in any language and perhaps,
> people would send
> > clips from around the world.Anyway another thought.

Simon Hostler did a pretty good version of this sort of thing in 91 with
Viewpoints. He created an environment where you searched for different
wildlife in different habitats and could 'photograph' them within the
software. Each habitat allowed you to zoom in on particular features, simply
watch and wait, view the habitat during night or day etc. He also tied in a
sort of treasure hunt to give it a narrative flow and included a database of
all the animals/plants involved.

Mike Matson to his usual sideways view of this sort of thing with Guardians
of the Greenwood with the kids battling against pollution amoungs real and
fictional denizens of said arboreal location :)

I don't think VP ever got from Acorn to PC, but Guardians is certainly
available from 4mation for PC.

Marshal

"When I hear the word Edutainment I reach for my gun"