Re: k12admin update

part 3:  and now for some PERL!

I was not about to manually convert all the /etc/shadow into EDUML so I
wrote a perl script (not as nice coding as your stuff, but it is GPL ...:-)
(see attached)

I used PERL because for non-XML to XML transformations, I think it is the
best. (for XML to another type of XML transformations, I prefer XMLscript
which is free but not yet open source unfortunately)

Some parts may need to be changed depending on how one uses the fourth field
(Name, Phone etc...)  but the idea is that it is not an obstacle to create
an XML file out of the information in passwd, shadow and group

Conclusion:

It would be easy and quick to add some XML in k12admin by converting and/or
using XML natively for internationalisation <LOCALE> elements in eduml
and for the information in the linux authentication files via <PERSON>
elements.  As I said, I'll be away from a computer for a few days (2 weeks)
but I'll volunteer to write the conversion tool for your string files into
<LOCALE> elements if that is the route you want to go.

Bruno

linux.pl