Re: [seul-edu] Lean and Clean Linux

On Sun, 09 Jul 2000, you wrote:
> Dear Educator Friends:
>
> I am working at a small parochial elementary school, teaching technology
> and installing networked computers.

lots deleted about the woes of installing Debian and Redhat

> I thought that perhaps someone had traveled this road before, and had some
> suggestions...

Greetings Robert Maynord!

Try Slackware 7.  I've had it running nicely on a 386DX/40 with 8 mb RAM and a
500 mb hard drive.  You have a great deal of flexibility in loading the system.
 I also found that the network install disk does a fine job of probing the
network card.

I've tried SuSE, Debian, RedHat, Storm, and Caldera.  I keep coming back to
Slackware as the most flexible install on older hardware.  (BTW, my typical
system is a 486-DX4/100 with 32 mb RAM and a gig or so of hard drive.)

--
jeff williams - cfiaime@mpks.net
                    jbw9586@ksu.edu