Re: [seul-edu] In Need of the BIG Picture

don't you need to make the compressed kernel to get it that small?  make
bzimage?
At 04:14 PM 07/19/2000 -0500, you wrote:
>Dear SEUL Friends:
>
>As per your suggestions, I have been exploring the process of compiling the
>Linux kernal for use on my P90s at school. I have been using "make
>menuconfig" to select what is to be included.  Just to see if I could make
>a VERY small test kernal, I removed checks for 99% of the possible choices,
>leaving only a very few items such as the Pentium chip, a cdrom, and the
>floppy. No sound, alternate file systems, radio, or anything like that is
>included.  After "make menuconfig", I use:
>
>make clean
>make dep
>make bzImage
>make modules
>make modules_install (which gives me a "target" error, presumably because I
>have no modules checked in "make menuconfig".
>
>The problem is, I end up with a kernal (vmlinux) that is 1082 K compared to
>735 K for the original (Slackware) distribution kernal. The original
>distribution kernal uses 16 MG ram after loading, and then needs the swap
>drive.  I hate to think what my kernal would do!
>
>This is one of those situations where I am obviously missing out on the BIG
>picture.  The standard distribution kernals are supposed to be very
>bloated.  How big should a "streamlined" kernal be?
>
>I would very much appreciate any ideas...
>
>Thanks!
>
>Robert Maynord

Jeremy Hunsinger          	http://www.cddc.vt.edu
Instructor of Political Science	Center for Digital Discourse and Culture
Webmaster/Manager CDDC
526 Major Williams Hall 0130	http://www.cddc.vt.edu/jeremy --my homepage
Virginia Tech
Blacksburg, VA 24061		(540)-231-7614