[seul-edu] Fw: Red Hat Center (Refered by Joe Lacal)

Jen Horney from Red Hat Center sent this to me a little while
ago.  I'm reposting it here with her permission.  Could we get
some discussion on the ideas here?  Jen's on the seul-edu
mailing list, so she should see all the replies.

On Mon, 31 Jul 2000, Jennifer Horney wrote:

> My name is Jen Horney and I work at Red Hat Center, the
foundation
> started by the founders of Red Hat Inc. to advance the cause
of open
> source in other areas - such as education, medical research,
etc.

> We met Jose Lacal at a conference at NYU this Spring on
Intellectual
> Property and I recently flew down to Ft. Lauderdale to meet
with him and
> talk some more about the benefits of open source in education.
 He
> suggested that I get in touch with you.  I have read you
postings on
> freshmeat.net, and had briefly discovered seul.org before, so
your name
> was familiar to me.
>
> We are trying to do a variety of things - gives grants and
host programs
> mostly - we are doing an education session on Captiol Hill in
September
> on open source in education and planning a rather large and
hopefully
> inclusive conference for next year that would bring together
the
> different communities working in open source - end users,
developers,
> businesses, and public policy folks to work on what happens to
open
> source as it moves more into the mainstream.  Jose is
hopefully going to
> come up and "testify" for us at the Senate Sessions.
>
> Anyway, Jose put me in touch with you and wondered if there
are ways
> that we might be able to work together.  Any thoughts about
any of
> this?  Anything that we can do for you or things that you
think we could
> be doing?  Sorry to be so up in the air, but we're just
getting started,

--
Doug Loss           The art of medicine consists of amusing the
dloss@suscom.net    patient while nature cures the disease.