[seul-edu] Open Source Model for Bandwidth Distribution

To get a great idea, first start with lots of ideas...

How might principles and practices of opensource licensing and rules like "if you want to play you can't keep all the marbles" be applied to internet bandwidth?

Consider this IT environment:

Up to now, in this locale, ISPs and other telecommunications entrepreneurs have obtained monopoly status in bandwidth distribution, resulting in overpricing, oversubscribing, and hampered development.  Their mode might be considered "our way or no way".  Of course, rates are high, and reliability can be whatever they choose to support.

My semi-vast idea is to have a policy/contract that would apply to (mostly wholesale?) customers of bandwidth.  If a grant or organization contracted for "a firehose' of bandwidth, then any person or company could purchase portions of that bandwidth for use or redistribution so long as they did not restrict or monopolize or constrain others from doing the same.  It should allow healthy competition, enable and encourage efficient business processes, and enhance IT development, infrastructure, and technology resources.

Of course this may threaten companies who have relied on past subsidies and artificial/legal barriers to competition, but such a policy need not preclude their participation.  Under this new structure, I would expect more robust options, better end-user prices, and healthier information systems and resources.

Perhaps someone out there in seul-world has some ideas, perspectives, or suggestions to present?

Thanks in advance for your input and feedback.

John Munro
jmunro@uvi.edu
St. Croix, US Virgin Islands
---