Re: Teaching Linux this summer

Hilaire Fernandes
Dr Geo project http://www.drgeo.seul.org

On Fri, 11 Jun 1999, Doug Loss wrote:

> Mario Olimpio de Menezes wrote:
> >
> > On Fri, 11 Jun 1999, Daniel Glenn wrote:
> > >
> > > Curriculum outline so far:
> > >
> > > 1. Being a basic User.
> > >       Logging in, getting around, seeing who is online, the
> > >       home directory, starting X, reading Mail, access
> > >       privileges.
> > >       * This is probably where I need to be reminded
> > >         of all the simple things you can do as a user.
> >
> > I would include here some basic shell studies, like:
> > - simple pipes, environment variables, dot-files;
> > - simple in-line for loops;
> > Also, some kind of automation with cron/at should be valuable, imho.
> > And, as a must item, how to use man pages, infos, HOWTOS, docs, ...
> >
> [...]
> > why not some easy perl cgi?
> >
> While it's not specific to web work, I think that some exposure to
> programming would be a good thing.  Mario's ideas about shell exposure
> (including simple scripting, I'd think) and easy perl sound about
> right.  If I were you I'd also look into Python, as that may be easier
> for beginning programmers to follow.

For web work it may be better teaching to student how to use Gimp. Kids
will love it but the interface is quite complicate.
Also you may teach them very basic html because some time Netscape make
mistake : for exemple link are alway a mess and you finally always use an
editor to correct the link. Also basic file system architecture can be
usefull to your student to understand how work a web site.
If you have a scanner, you may teach them how to use it (DPI, brigthness,
etc)

Script/CGI should be done by the teacher.

Hilaire