Re: Teaching Linux this summer

Hello!

Let me put some hints here.

- it is better approach to learn HTML first and
  then work with Netscape composer (IMHO)

- every student must have its own web-space
  under /home/$USER/public_html

- the way to exchange files must also be specified and explained
  (by email? by common access transfer directory? by HTTP?)

- at the team stage, it is very important to involve everyone
  into creative work (it is far-far simpler to say that to do...)

>5. Create a mess and straighten it out.

- it doesn't need special efforts :-) Usually
  kids like to do it themselves.

>the problem is, what else should the students learn and know about in a
>LINUX environment? It has been 5 or 6 years since I was a CSci student

- for beginners mc is very valuable (even under X window)

It is  also  important  to  prepare  a  large  enough  clip-art
collection + backgrounds. It seems,  that  the  most  difficult
decision in web-design is to select proper background!

And do not forget to tell children that their own passwords are
their own keys nobody should know. This adds dignity to them!

+

Do not forget to allow 5-10 min _network_ games!
(Not Quake of course, something lighter).

Good luck!