Re: Need help choosing WM for old machines

I forgot to mention. We installed it on our 64 meg machine up stairs,
and Enlightenment with GNOME ran jsut as slow! Switched to WindowMaker,
and it ran a 100 times faster. Don't know if it was RedHat, or our
installation. But we'll probably just run Windowmaker.

Michael A Hamblin wrote:

> On Thu, 27 May 1999, Daniel Glenn wrote:
>
> > We just installed RedHat 6.0 on our old Pentium-100s and X Runs SLOW.
> > GNOME with Enlightenmnet doesn't cut it in only 16 megs of RAM
> > (especially considering that we have onboard VGA which means the Video
> > has to share RAM with the Main system)
>
> Those machines should be powerful enough to do KDE or GNOME fine.
> Particularly with Netscape, I believe you will find that 16Mb of RAM
> doesn't cut it no matter how fast the machine is. If you want to run
> Netscape at all, upgrade your RAM.
>
> That aside, Blackbox is optimized for speed and then looks, and it runs
> very well on 486-66s. But unless you get more RAM, that setup will always
> be slow. Netscape is just too much of a hog. I used a 486-120 with 16Mb of
> RAM and it was usable with KDE, until I started Netscape. And Netscape
> runs poorly on my quad-P166/128Mb... can't wait until Mozilla is released.
> The M5 of Mozilla is real nice, if it wasn't alpha code I would use it
> for everything. I did an hour of solid heavy web browsing and didn't even
> get it to hiccup. Netscape hiccups on every machine I've used it on just
>
> --
> Michael Hamblin            http://www.utdallas.edu/~michaelh/
> michaelh@utdallas.edu      http://www.ductape.net/
> UTD Linux User Group       Engineering and Computer Science Support x2997
begin:vcard
n:Glenn;Daniel
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:http://www.angelfire.com/on/WhiteHorse/