Re: Need help choosing WM for old machines

On Fri, 11 Jun 1999, Michael A Hamblin wrote:

> ...well it is a tad slow early on compared to what I'm used to, but still
> pretty usable. I got a couple terms up, GNOME config tool, The GIMP (no
> images loaded), calendar app, file browser, and the help tool. It did get
> slow when I loaded the file and help tools at the same time. Now that it's
> in memory it's just fine, switching desktops is pretty peppy (probably b/c
> the default theme doesn't use a lot of pixmaps :)... bringing Netscape
> up...[year and a half later]...bringing up Slashdot... ... ... yeah this
> is a tad slow, hard drive's grinding away (swapping) ... ... "Top 500
> Fastest Computers" ... well I don't think this P120 counts, but outside of
> Netscape, the machine seems quite usable. It's also got Pipeline Burst
> cache on it, was quite the haus back in it's day (late 95).

We upgraded the RAM on the same machine, so instead of 16Mb EDO now it's
running 64Mb EDO. Ran the same test and didn't have any performance drop,
no serious swapping, etc. I've finally got some RAM that should work in
the P100 (remember that 16Mb we just upgraded? :), so minus a decent video
card I'm ready to try more stuff on that machine. Maybe if you could give
me some specifics about how you set up RedHat on those machines I can try
to recreate the problems you're seeing on my P100?

--
Michael Hamblin            http://www.utdallas.edu/~michaelh/
michaelh@utdallas.edu      http://www.ductape.net/