linux app ports now in stores

i'm not a frequent contributor here, but i saw some stuff this week that
really blew my mind.  excuse me if this is already common knowledge, but
if not then it's worth spreading the word.

strolling around a local store i noticed several new apps being sold
specifically for linux.  what really got me is when i saw that
metrowerks codewarrior has been ported.  (it's in a box that looks just
like the ones for mac or win, but says "for linux" instead.)

fyi: codewarrior is a full-featured integrated development environment (ide)
including a cross-compiler for several platforms (macos, winXX, beos, palmos,
many others..... and i assume linux as well now), one of the best graphical
debuggers i've ever used, and various other useful components.  same concept
as the ms developer studio ide for windows except it sucks a lot less, imho.
(i've used both msdev and codewarrior extensively when coding for win/mac, as
well as having touched borland's and think's stuff in the distant past)

in a nutshell, i'm really impressed that a major programming product like
codewarrior has been officially ported to linux, along with the other
products that have been showing up in "for linux" packages.  ( btw, id has
released the standard, fully-functional quake games in a shrink-wrapped
box "for linux", i noticed :) )

i don't know much more than this at the moment, so can't vouch for the
quality of all these ports at present, but i encourage people to spread the
word, try them out, and let others know how they are.  i bet somebody's
educational budget could cover a single license of codewarrior for linux...
hint hint. :)

that's all from me.  back to my hosage.

/-  Peter Luka -- luka@mit.edu -- http://cran.mit.edu/~luka  -\
\-   Finger luka@monk.mit.edu for schedule and other info    -/