(FWD) Re: [seul-edu] (FWD) IP chains / transparent proxy

----- Forwarded message from owner-seul-edu@seul.org -----

Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2000 00:39:38 -0700
From: "Daniel P. Kionka" <dan@kionka.org>
To: seul-edu@seul.org
Subject: Re: [seul-edu] (FWD) IP chains / transparent proxy

I tried the ipchains command below (to force all web traffic through
squid), but it did not work!  I finally got it going, so I thought I
should share what I found out.  (The goal is to configure the browser as
having a direct connection, but have everything go through squid so you
can add filtering.)

Configuring ipchains is not enough.  squid does not automatically take
these redirected packets.  You have to add a few lines to
/etc/squid/squid.conf:

	httpd_accel_host virtual
	httpd_accel_port 80
	httpd_accel_with_proxy  on
	httpd_accel_uses_host_header on

I got this directly from http://www.squid-cache.org/Doc/FAQ/FAQ-17.html

That FAQ page does not have the right info for ipchains, though.

Speaking of setting up ipchains, I think I discovered the "right" way to
do it on RedHat 6.2.  It comes with a startup script:

	/etc/rc.d/init.d/ipchains

To configure it, you manually run the ipchains commands you need
(interactively), and then run:

	/etc/rc.d/init.d/ipchains save

That creates the file /etc/sysconfig/ipchains which is used when you
reboot.

I have given up using linuxconf to configure ipchains -- it always
brings down the network.

Dan

----- End forwarded message -----