[seul-edu] Concepts and Curriculum

OK,

Jeff and I have kicked back and forth twice about computer classes and I
thought I should make this a new thread that made sense.

>>> ....We need to teach concepts, not keystrokes.  The basic Linux
distributions
>>> give the tools to teach concepts.
>>
>>OK, so tell me what concepts you've come up with as essential.

>Oy veh, the stuff you can teach!  Language, certainly.  How about
computer
>assisted music?  Art?  Web design?  Process control -- with the
mindstorm LEGO
>robots?  The possibilities are endless.

Some of these I'm going to try and cover (computer music - since music
was my primary degree, web design -this could be and endless class...).
Now the art raises my eyebrow.  I'm decent with image programs
(Photoshop and Paint Shop Pro in windows, learning GIMP), but don't know
where to begin teaching the students, and then letting them "do"
something with it.  Who's done this before?  Where did you start and ask
the students to go during the class?

What about web design.  I've tried this two different years (with a
poorly scheduled class, twice a week) and have not been able to motivate
about 75% of the students to be creative.  How have some of you
approached this kind of class?

Any one doing a database class?  I have a few students each year that
want to work with databases in prep for business school.  I'll be
honest, I'm still relearning databases (Access mostly) and get very
frustrated that most of the instructional books have VERY poor exercises
and project ideas.  What can some of you throw out?

>Beyond that, a general class ought to build on the sacred three (word
processing, spreadsheet, databases) at >least.  These are tools that are
going to get general use by almost everyone.

>The computer is not the subject of your class,
>but is the tool that your students can use for every other class.  Let
the kids
>give you ideas of how they would like to use the system, too.

I agree with this 100%.  I see a real need to teach problem solving to
my student population, and I know that the computers are a great tool
for that.  I just am trying to get my head straight for making some
basic plans to head into this year with.

Thanks for all the help and input.  I know this is a great forum for
brainstorming on more than just technical problems.... although I'll
share my fair amount of those also.

Ryan Booz
Tech Coordinator
Belleville Mennonite School