Re: [seul-edu] programming courses for 6 th grades

logo and graphics related experiments are not programming. In business world, those graphics layout and logo design people are called creative group, and that is a complete seperate group than programming team.  So playing on computer to do logo stuff may be very effective to get kids interested in computers, but that is not programming.

I agree teaching a bit HTML is closer to programming, and it should not be that difficult either.  My 3rd grade son know if he modify bgcolor the page will look funny. Of course he has to learn to click File->edit page, etc., but you know he learned something when  he had his jaw dropped after modifying  bgcolor="#FFFFFF" to bgcolor="#000000".

Jay Sun.
Sun Information Technology Services
Email: contact@it4school.com
web:  www.it4school.com

--

On Tue, 12 Jun 2001 05:52:51
 Michael Hall wrote:

>G'day All:
>
>I know it is not really programming in the true sense perhaps, but I've
>had some success teaching HTML to 6th graders. It isn't heavy duty
>programming but it is certainly a great deal more useful skill to have
>than Logo programming will ever be, and is probably as good a start to
>tinkering with computers as anything else.
>
>Following that, I believe that basic bash programming could be made simple
>enough and interesting enough for 6th graders, though this is an untested
>belief to date. But again, it is a real skill with real applications,
>unlike Logo. Indeed, if Linux does become increasingly ubiquitous, bash
>programming will become an increasingly useful skill.
>
>I think that time and resources are so scarce in schools these days that
>we need to try and ensure that whatever we're teaching has some relevance
>to and use in the real world.
>
>Mick

>Michael Hall - mick@mulga.com.au - mulga.com.au
>  The Alice Interactive - www.thealice.com.au
>

>On Mon, 11 Jun 2001, Les Richardson wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Yes, but we want it to be a success for ALL students..(to some degree).
>> You were successful. Many may not be. For the teacher, it's a matter of
>> judgement as to what will work with her/his particular group.
>>
>> Les
>>

>> > I disagree.  I learned Basic and Logo when I was in 6th grade (and that
>> > was in 1986).  Basic was a little bit harder, but much more engaging
>> > (part of Basic's advantage was that it really solidified the basic human
>> > communication aspect of 'thinking in language').

>> > --
>> > Joseph Estevao Arruda	|	www.valinux.com
>> > Corporate Alchemist	|	www.sourceforge.net
>> > VA Linux Systems	|	www.linux.com