Re: Linux in Columbian schools (was: Re: [seul-edu] Announcing the Tux Typing 0.9 Release)

    Doug> Jeff Nelson wrote:
    >> I, for one, will be very interested in seeing your document.  I
    >> need to convince the head of a nonprofit I work with that Linux
    >> is applicable to an educational project in Colombia.  He
    >> believes that MS solutions are best, but I think the
    >> sustainability issue is an important one, especially now that
    >> the new MS licensing schemes are going to remove the
    >> Colombians' ability to pirate at will.

    Doug> If you don't already know about it, take a look at Structio
    Doug> <http://structio.sourceforge.net/>.  Vladimir Támara Patiño
    Doug> has done some nice work (I think, although I'm not fluent in
    Doug> Spanish) that may be of some help to you.

Thank you very much for the presentation.

Regarding the adoption of Linux  in colombian schools, Jeff could show
the head of the nonprofit the following sites:

* SLEC -  Community of  volunteers that are  helping to adopt  Linux in
  colombian educational institutions.
  http://www.geocities.com/sl_edu_colombia

* Structio -  Project to produce public domain  contents for colombian
  schools.
  http://structio.sourceforge.net

* Free course of Linux for colombian schools.
  http://www.tamarapatino.com/servicios/cursogratuito/2/repfin.shtml

You could also  mention a recent article that  appeared in a important
newspaper of Colombia (El Tiempo, revista Enter, last week), where the
experience of  a colombian  school that uses  only Linux  is described
(the  school Gimnasio  Fidel Cano,  my  brother Igor  Támara has  been
making the adoption of Linux there,  you could arrange a visit to that
school  by  contacting  him  igor@tamarapatino.com).  The  article  is
availabe at:

http://www.tamarapatino.com/gfc/proyectos/sistemas/enter2001.html

I have  some statistics of  educational instituions that use  Linux in
Colombia, my  current count is 43.   A recent survey  of the education
ministery estimate that 3% of the colombian schools use Linux.

I think these thing can help,  and of course you could also contact me
or join the community SLEC.

Best regards.
--
  Vladimir Támara Patiño.