Re: [seul-edu] ISO Phase 1 evals

>From: Jim Thomas <jthomas@bittware.com>
>To: seul-edu@seul.org
>Subject: Re: [seul-edu] ISO Phase 1 evals
>Date: Fri, Jun 28, 2002, 4:32 PM
>
>Here's a multi-tiered organizational structure that might work.  Items
>ending with a colon are categories/sub-categories.

This looks very good, Jim.  I want to modify it only slightly: rather than
have a number of categories that have only 2-3 apps, I'm going to try to
combine them to have fewer categories with more entries per category.  If
and when we start to overload those categories we can further subdivide them
as you've shown.

>Computer/Network Administration:
>  Computer Admin Suites:
>    AbulEdu
>    Projet MINAL
>    SLIS
>  User Account Management:
>    K12Admin
>    kmuser
>    SLIS

Let's combine these two as "Network Administration."

>  Equipment Inventory/Availability:
>    LabStatus
>    Tech Tracker
>  Web proxies/filters:
>    Active Guardian
>    *squid - http://www.squid-cache.org
>    *squidguard -  http://www.squidguard.org/
>    SLIS
>    WPM (Web-based Proxy Manager)

These two categories, although small, don't easily combine with anything
else, so let's keep them as is.

>  Web Content Management:
>    Alumni Online
>    MyPHPSchool
>    Reunion Address Database (RADB)
>    Search Engines:
>      Webliographer

Loose "Search Engines" as a category and combine Webliographer into "Web
Content Management."

>  Remote Administration/Screen Sharing:
>    *Virtual Network Computing -  http://www.uk.research.att.com/vnc/
>    XMX
>    XWinX

Small, but well-defined; keep as is.

All the above categories could fit under a "Technology Administration" or
"Technology Management" supercategory.

>School Admininstration:
>  School Admin Suites:
>    eduBase
>    SAGU
>    StarshipSchool
>  Inventory Management:
>    LabStatus
>    PingoS
>  Cafeteria:
>    Online Lunch Menu
>  Financial Management:
>    MicroBUDGET-GUI
>    Xpert

Combine all these into "School Office Management."  I'm not crazy about that
name; how about some suggestions?

>  Scheduling Software:
>    Course Scheduling/Booking:
>      asigna
>      Carnegie
>      Educational Information System
>      JAdvisor
>      phpCBS
>      scheduler
>      schedulist
>      Tablix
>      University Schedule Planner
>    Event Scheduling:
>      Calcium
>      Event Calendar
>      LLEU

Lose "Scheduling Software" as a category and promote the subcategories up
one level.

>  Gradebooks/Assignments/Attendence:
>    Basmati
>    Bessie the Annihilator
>    EWPATAS
>    Ggradebook
>    Grades XML editor
>    GradeView
>    Ionia Student
>    OpenGrade
>    OpenSIS
>    PinZeT
>    STORM
>    The Grades editor
>    Test Management:
>      Testatos
>     The Online Assessment Database

Lose "Test Management" as a subcategory; rename category as "Class
Management."

>  Parent/Teacher Communication:
>    Bessie the Annihilator
>    Edventure
>    GradeView
>    The Grades editor

All of these except Edventure are in the category above.  Would Edventure
also fit into "Class Management?"  If so, lose the category entirely.

>  Sports and Academic Competition:
>    BJS
>    Livestat
>    PHP Track Meet
>  Distance Education/Conferencing/Collaboration:
>    DETA
>    drawboard
>    Escritor
>    OpenRCT
>    Quadronegro
>    The HorizonLive Distance Learning System
>    XMX

These two look good.

>  Student/Teacher Evaluation Systems:
>    The Student Anecdotal System
>    Web Teacher Evaluations

Would these fit into "Class Management?"

Wd could combine the categories other than the ones under "Technology
Administration" into a supercategory called "School Administration."

I've got 11 categories here, down from 17 in Jim's systems.  Comments?

Doug Loss