RE: [seul-edu] Open Source Applications Certification

Hi:  Very good.  Understood.  And, I for one, really like what you're
doing with the kids.

An interesting certification offering, if it hasn't been mentioned, is
the Oreilly.com approach.http://learninglab.oreilly.com/

Being terribly biased, here's my suggestion for your students:
Open Studios thinks you should start a community-based recording studio
for your students.

They get a donated low-end PC.  They set up the free software on it.
They borrow, or get a donated microphone, maybe even find a digital
camcorder, and they're set to start.

What they can do with that, is to create CD's, DVD's, full-featured
films, and anything a major recording studio can do.  Amazing, but true.
How about that?  They create the CD, sell it to raise funds for
expanding the equipment and earning money to pay for certification
programs.

Ready for the good stuff?  There's a web site at Stanford:
http://ccrma-www.stanford.edu/
Center for Computer Research in Music and Acoustics

The students can get the finest in recording engineering training money
can buy, but it won't cost a cent.

Here's another:
http://www.agnula.org/
funded by the European Commission, and representing the finest
institutions in Europe, they also will take your students on the most
sophisticated, advanced learning experience in recording in the world,
and won't cost a cent.

What do they learn?  Everything open source certification programs
offer, plus they learn about applications that let them blow a note into
the computer, and it prints out the musical score sheet.  They learn
about applications that let them create notes, and the computer plays
the score they wrote.  They learn about all the audio and video
technology that is cutting edge development, and they do it on a desktop
computer, from mixing to editing film, to creating works that reflect
their expertise.  The quality of recordings and video production are
broadcast quality, and of equal or better quality than found in the
commercial sector.

This isn't about music, but it is about using music to demonstrate the
technical expertise that once had to be associated with certification
programs.  They take a CD, or DVD to their interviews, and those work
products speak for themselves.  Documentation of their progress is
reflected in the mailing lists discussions, and the papers they
contribute to the open source movement.

All the while, the learning is fun, and useful, eh?
Thanks,
Tom Poe
Open Studios
Reno, NV