RE: [seul-edu] Home schooling question

Hiya,

Regarding the Home-Schooled SAT results...

This is a classic example of a misuse of statistics. The SAT figures are
silent with regard to:

   - Mean family income of home-schooled children versus other schooled
children
   - The rate of learning deficiencies and attention disorders in
home-schooled children versus other schooled children
   - The availability of internet access at home for home-schooled children
versus the other schooled children
   - The professions (white collar, blue collar or professional) of parents
for home-schooled children versus other schooled children
   - the class sizes for home-schooled children versus the other schooled
children

You may wonder why I make these points.

Well, if the conclusion implied by the argument below holds, that
home-schooled children in the SATs do better because they were
home-schooled, then it follows that parents - who typically have no
professional or teaching credentials whatsoever - are actually better at
teaching that professionals who typically undergo years of university
education in order to qualify for the same position. While I am in the main
sceptical of credentials, this position is absurd - and therefore, the
improved scores or home-schooled children are likely due to the relatively
better socio-economic status their families enjoy, rather than any inherent
value in the methodology.

-- Stephen

-
Stephen Downes ~ Senior Researcher ~ National Research Council Canada
Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada
http://www.downes.ca stephen@downes.ca
stephen.downes@nrc.ca http://www.iit.nrc.ca/e-learning.html
Subscribe to my free daily newsletter featuring news and articles
about online knowledge, learning, community
http://www.downes.ca/cgi-bin/website/subscribe.cgi
or read it at http://www.downes.ca/news/OLDaily.htm
-