Re: [seul-edu] Home schooling question: parents better than

On Thu, 26 Jun 2003 10:41, Downes, Stephen wrote:
> It was on this basis that I suggested that the probable implicit
> conclusion - that home schooling is superior - is incorrect, on the
> grounds that if these other factors were not considered, then it
> followed that parents are better teachers than teachers, which is
> implausible.

The conclusion is probably still correct, since I can't see any of the
selection factors making enough of a difference to cover the relatively
large delta in scores. The absolute numbers are large enough that the
imbalance strikes most people as not being so significant - at least,
until you push those scores under a bell curve and turn them into
percentiles.

The second problem is, "what is a teacher?" If you define a teacher in
the narrow sense of their measurable performance as a skilled classroom
technician according to relatively abstract parameters, then the
premise is clearly untenable.

If instead you define a teacher in the more pragmatic sense of being an
individual capable of imparting information to another individual or
groups of same, then your implied axiom that college training improves
the results comes into question. Voice training or a drama course may
be more effective, hour for hour, than teacher training.

A concrete eg of this is studies on criminal recidivism (discussed here:
http://www.hypoglycemia.asn.au/articles/forgotten_factor_crimedebate.html)
discovering that counsellors weren't as effective in preventing the
recurrence of crime as was nutrition training. Not a result you'd
expect.

Certainly, the axiom is well open to question in a home schooling
environment, and I wonder when I see no evidence of anyone following
that question back to the classroom environment in search of tunable
parameters with which to make teacher training more effective.

The third problem lies in what is being taught. What makes you sure that
the curriculum areas so far identified and formalised are so strongly
related to the impartation and measurement of skills which will be
effective in real life - even if "real life" is a laboratory somewhere?

It could well be that the application of parenting skills are more
effective in leading scholars to study and adopt their materials than
the best formal study technology applied without "adoption" by the
scholar.

In short, I still think your approach was (for a researcher) very much
on the subjective side and I strongly disagree with your conclusion
that the metric used does not strongly apply. I recommend, albeit
without the qualifications to back my recommendation, that you
reconsider your axiom that parents cannot be, on average, better
teachers than teachers.

If any of the other educators here are feeling brave, perhaps you'd like
to comment on how many of your parenting skills are involved when you
are doing your most rewarding and effective work?

Cheers; Leon