Network Questions and comments

I am nearly done prototyping my network.  But I have several questions I
hope someone here can resolve.
1) Does any know quite abit about assinging permissions on NT Workstations?
 I need a little help in this area.
2) To see if I am doing an efficient job, I need to know much space in
certian directories I am using.  Can anyone remind me how to find how find
out how much space a directory and all its subdirectories are using?
3) I am having trouble guessing the Address and IRQ of several inherited
network cards.  At least that's what I think it is because (the cards
little lights are on until the OS loads).  A couple of years ago when I had
to work with NT I first reconfigured all the cards in a Win95 workstation.
Is there an easier way?  One idea was maybe there is an easy way to see
what the Address and IRQ value are from Linux as it boots.  I know it
displays that information, but scrolls by too fast.  Does linux record it's
boot log to some file?

General comments:  So far I can now do nearly everything also on Linux.
VNC is a wonderful thing!

However, I am still looking for a wordprocessor that works like ApplixWare
from a security and setup perspective, but is free preferably looks like
StarOffice, but doesn't have to use all the harddrive and cpu resources.
It doesn't need to be a do everything program -- just the common things
that students need.  Anybody know the status of AbiWriter or what ever it
is called?  Anybody know the URL?

And of course there is still the math program issue.  Maybe I should try to
fire up my beginning programmers to do this with me?  Although they aren't
quite ready yet.