Re: C++ ostreams on EGCS and Linux

On Tue, 16 Mar 1999, Micah Yoder wrote:

> First, why is the C++ standard 'ostringstream' simply 'ostrstream' in
> the EGCS library?  This seems like a pretty big compatibility breaker.
> I'm using Stroustrup's _C++ Programming Language_ 3rd edition as my C++
> reference.

This is a C++ library issue, not exactly an egcs issue.  The
ostrstream was put there by libstdc++-devel.  Apparently, the Linux
"standard C++" library isn't _exactly_ standard :(

In fact, you may wish to avoid using any of the STL library templates
too, and instead download SGI's STLport-3.0 ddeom http://www.sgi.com/Technology/STL

> If that wasn't bad enough, ostrstream is screwed up.  When I output

Sorry, I can't help you there.  Sure it's not a memory bug somewhere?
You might want to try an STL rope too.

---
Rhandeev Singh
Linux User Group