edos update

edos Project update.

I'd like to take a minute to update everyone on our progress
here in Missouri with the edos project. Though I haven't
updated our web site in awhile, we have been working many
hours with students at the Reed Springs Vo-Tech Center in
the computer lab.

After buying a pc for this purpose and spending a few days
learning as much as possible about installing Red Hat 5.2
and Windows on the same machine I went with a new Deluxe Red
Hat boxed set to the school and showed them Linux up and
running on my pc.

After a brief demo, the students de fragged and partitioned
the hard drive on one of their pc's and we installed Linux.

We then discussed the GNU license, copyleft, and how and why
Linux came about. We discussed some business theory on how
this will affect the computing industry and what
opportunities it might create.

Then, we let the students play. They have spent the last two
weeks installing and running Linux on all of their 14 pcs
and have been having a real blast exploring the Red Hat
distribution.

I also brought in a Book with the Caldera distribution that
has a copy of Star Office included. One of the Students
brought this home and had Linux up and running that night on
his pc. Several others have also installed Red Hat at home.

All of the students are very interested in learning as much
as possible about Linux. All were surprised to learn that
they could install another OS on their pc and choose which
one to boot up. They were also surprised to learn that they
had access to so much software for Linux.

One of my surprises has been how fearless they are. Armed
with the knowledge that at worst, they'd have to re-install
Windows, these kids tore into those pcs and started whacking
away. We have had our problems, and I'll post some notes on
what I've learned by watching these kids to see what trips
them up. For the most part, everything they know is about
Windows, so everything they see is compared to that. I'll
say it has really open their minds as to how they will use
their computers in the future. Windows has suddenly become a
choice for them.

Kim Borsiek, the instructor, has the foresight to see how
important it is for these kids to be working with Linux and
open source/free software. She also sees how this
opportunity might forever change the direction of computing
courses in schools. Kim has decided to make Linux a
permanent part of her curriculum. All of her students will
learn about and use Linux in these classes from now on.

From here, we'll try and install some of the software
included on the cds I brought in and all the software we
find links to at seul. Then we'll try and set up a network.
Then a web server. After that, "Hello World" will become a
familiar phrase to all these kids.

BTW, Kim and the students are very impressed and
appreciative for all the work being done on their, and other
students and educators behalf, by all the members of this
list. Your efforts provide an incredible inspiration.
They've already learned by example that they can acquire
complete control of how they use their computers. They've
learned that there is no cash or code barrier that will
prevent them from exploring and creating with Linux and that
even now, they can contribute to it's future.

Keep up the great work, we really need you.

Bill Stephenson
edos.org