Re: [seul-edu] Eduml proposal (the documennt)

Eric Sandeen writes:

 > >We can define a common scale based on float value from -100 to 100 for
 > >exemple. But this is more application specific as Eduml doesn't do any
 > >computation. In the case of a numeric scale we just need to compute an
 > >affine transformation using the low and high value. With a discret
 > >scale we can supply a mapping to the common scale.  Scale are quite
 > >common toward session, so it's ok to defined them outside of the
 > >session
 >
 > I'm not so sure that the scale would be the same across classes in a
 > session - imagine a school which has remedial classes and advanced
 > classes.  The advanced classes may have a different (more difficult)
 > grading scale...  I think we will run into problems unless we allow scales
 > to be defined for each unique class.

Oops! I don't make myself clear there. The common scale is just
something underground when the user want to make some average with
with different kind of result (numeric and discret)

When the user need a none existing scale he can define another.  It's
understandable that a teacher will use about the same set of
graduation system with different class and it will annoy to defin each
time the scale.

 > ><scales>
 > >  <commonScale>
 > >   <high>100.0</high>
 > >   <low>0.0</low>
 > >  </commonScale>

     ^^^ This is not to be taken in consideration.

 > >Should we add weight to class, course and session ?
 >
 > I don't know of any reason to do this - I can't think of a situation where
 > grades for a class would be averaged across a course, for example.  I think
 > assignment and category weights are enough (these are the only items which
 > affect a _student grade_.)

What if the administration want to average the course or even session.
This is a situation that can eventualy happen. Anyway this the kind of
things we can extend latter.

Hilaire