From: owner-seul-edu@seul.org [mailto:owner-seul-edu@seul.org]On Behalf
Of Kevin Brown
Sent: Tuesday, March 21, 2000 4:57 AM
To: seul-edu@seul.org
Subject: Re: [seul-edu] How would the kids login in the labs?

Harry McGregor wrote:

> On Mon, 20 Mar 2000, Dennis Brown wrote:
>
> >     I have pondered many Linux setups for schools and one problem has
> > always came up: How do you login in the lab? Since kids login on
> > different machines each time they have to be authorized on every machine
> > they go in. But becuase in schools the user database can reach from 300
> > -> 2000 people it would be a tedious job to update each machine
> > individualy. Is there a way that the schools/companies can update the
> > user database from a central server? Thanks,
>
> You would mostlikely want to use NIS, yes, it's clear text passwords
> (hashed), but it works rather well.  Our student database at corbett is
> about 800 students, and it works just fine.
>
> We are using GDM for the login manager, and have two NIS servers (main,
> and a slave server as a backup).
>
> We are using NFS for the /home and a few other things, and will migrate to
> total nfs root as soon as we can redo the wiring for the lab.
>
>                         Harry
> > Kevin Brown.

Your school already has Linux running? I am only 13 years old and I still
want
to know who I should start convincing first. Whether it be the teachers in
charge (who only know what they really need to), the principal or the board.
think our school would be A LOT more stable if Linux was the alternate OS
(we
have techies comming in once a week and are VERY stressed, and I can proove
that :). I am sure I could find hundreds of volunteers that would jump at
helping me so all I have to do it start prooving this is what has to be
done.

Kevin.