Re: [seul-edu] Linux in homeschool environment

On Thu, Mar 23, 2000 at 01:12:49PM -0500, Doug Loss wrote:
> jheuer@icx.net wrote:
>
> > One of the most important requirements is curriculum-based educational
> > software that will provide a foundation for standard academic tests.  We have
> > used software by Jostens Learning Co. which, unfortunately, only runs on
> > M$ machines.  This particular software was distributed by CD and was
> > targeted for homeschool or remedial work.  The titles were High School Core
> > and Math Mastery or High School Math.  The material is presented in a way
> > that emphasizes reading, a structural approach to writing, and math.  This
> > material has few M$-style "bells-and-whistles", little multimedia, no videos
> > of khaki-clad teacher-types but we have found it to be very effective.
> >
> > Unfortunately, the original CDs are no longer published by Jostens but have
> > been replaced by   more multimedia dense material.  Nevertheless, I think
> > the Jostens Core and Math CDs would provide an excellent model for a similar
> > effort using a Linux platform.
>
> Could you write up a more detailed description of how these work?  It might
> encourage someone to emulate them for Linux.

Doug, sorry to be so long in getting back to you on this - I have been busy
with GRASS GIS (another program which has potential for Linux-based
education).

I will be glad to work up some specifications of the various engines
used by Jostens.  I figure simple ASCII files will be adequate (do you accept
email attachments?) or I could put it in simple HTML - what's your pref?

I plan to start with the reading comprehension engine; it is probably
foundational for much of the curriculum.

In order to stimulate interest, I'll give a brief description of the
reading comprehension module and some of my ideas concerning
a possible approach:

1. the material is presented as several lessons under a topic. At the end
   of the lessons, the student takes a "mastery test" for the topic.
2. each lesson is presented as an introduction of several paragraphs,
   followed by several short answer questions over the material. Next, there
   is ususally several paragraphs which provide more depth followed by
   additional questions, some of which require applied reasoning by the
   student.
3. In the lesson phase, the system provides instant feedback to the student
   as he/she answers the questions.  There is usually no feedback during
   the mastery test phase.
4. If the student does not make a satisfactory score on the mastery test,
   he/she must start at the beginning and complete all lessons prior to
   retaking the test.
5. The student's progress (student id, lesson id, time/date, elapsed time,
   score) is tracked throughout the entire process.
6. the content is stored in external, binary files.

The programming end of this work could probably be handled by a scripting
language with good string functions - perl or python?
In the bigger picture, it might be adaptable to Zope which would favor Python.
Another possiblility might be Rebol.

Anyway, stay tuned for more information.

Thanks.

John