[seul-edu] First posting/intro to seul-edu

Greetings!

In accordance with a request in the majordomo welcome message:

 > We invite you to send a brief introduction of yourself to the list, so
 > we can keep track of what resources we have available and who our
 > audience is.

Here is a brief introduction...

I am a brand new educator.  I have 20 years experience in high-tech as a
computer, software & systems engineer, and also spent time in various
management roles.  I have used UNIX for a good portion of that 20 years,
Linux the last few years.  I am one of the core active members of WLUG -
Worcester Linux Users Group - and am nearly finished building my own "ISP"
in my basement using Red Hat, PHP, MySQL, etc..  I have just made the
transition to education.

I am a so-called mid-career professional who is waiting to hear whether I
will be accepted into the Massachusetts Institute for New Teachers (MINT),
an accelerated summer program that allows mid-career types to break into
teaching.  I have passed Massachusetts' "teacher's exam" and am
provisionally certified to teach Science.  Provisionally because I have no
teaching course work nor spent any time student teaching (hence the MINT
program).

I have some background in teaching from college, where I was a teaching
fellow, and have also taught a few courses in industry (seminars, week-long
courses, etc.).  Of course, this in no way prepares me for teaching in
Public Schools!  ;-)

I will be teaching an elective course on Linux beginning March 25th to 11th
& 12th graders, but will post a separate thread on this subject to this list...

Regards,
Steve