[seul-edu] Easy to use educational software

< Cameron wrote:
< Well, the common thread of teachers not having the time or ability
< learn is a troubling idea.  How did they first learn the slide
rule,
< calculators, Apple II, DOS, Mac OS, Windows, OS/2, Win 95, Windows
2000,
or now perhaps Linux.  The nature of Linux and GPL'd software
permits it
to be adapted to accomodate almost any shortcoming in the user
interface.  The X Window System is still the most advanced user
interface readily avaialable, and thus can be the most complex but
also
the most user friendly.

I think there is a deeper underlying struggle here other than simple

user interface issues.  There are those who do not want to take on
the
responsibility of operating a computer, regardless of how well it
can
enhance their effectiveness and efficiency.

Is the problem really that Linux technology is too hard to use?  Or
is
it some combination of the fact that Linux/X is more rich and
powerful
and many end users don't want to learn anything they perceive as
being
new or giving them control and responsibility over their computer?
often sense a fear when dealing with educators about computing.  It
reminds me disturbingly of Math phobia.  Is there a way to overcome
this
with Linux or a better user interface?  In the past I have simply
taken
a hard line, something like, "this is simply the way it works and
you
have to use it to get the job done".  The hard line seems to work
most
of the time but I would really like a better way than providing
folks
with an appeal to a higher authority.  Is there some way to present
Linux that would spark the deeply buried curiosity and excitement
about
learning something new?

My 2 cents,

- cameron

--=20
- cameron miller
- UNIX Systems Administrator
< regards
"------------------------------------------------------------------------=

--------------------------"
I would like to comment on this.
Though I do see some evidence of the sentiment Cameron has expressed
re
teachers.
It is difficult ofr people who are not teachers to understand that
teaching something keeps you locked into that thing. And I
personally
find it incredibly difficlut and hugely time consuming to develop
new
things on the side, even though I continue to do so anyway, i just
have
to plan development stages in advance. I have been working on
changing
to Java as the programming language for 3 years and am still not
ready -
once again as with Linux it si just not as easy to use as VB.
Realise, I
was a fittter and turner in underground coalmines prior to becoming
teacher.

Apart from this I have been teaching computing and Physics for 11
years
this year is my 12th, since 1996 I have taught only computing
subjects.
I now teach in what is known as a selective school - i.e. magnet
school
for gifted students. I have completed post graduate study in info
systems and programming, I have completed short courses in desktop
publishing, Access and NT admin, I ahve also completed MCP in NT.
(all
at my own expense and in my own time - I am not trying to be some
kind
of martyr) I am simply very "into" my career. Now I do not consider
myself a duffer when it comes to setting up and running a system but
have tried on numerous occsions since 1998 (usually in christmas
break)
to install LInux and have worked non stop for days 18 hours per day
and
ended up with somethihng that did not work under Linux. Either cd
was
not recognised + whole range of other probs.

The only success I had was when I loaded red hat 6.1 as a server -
but
then all I got was a command prompt and had no idea what to do from
there and no way of being able to work it out because no gui, no
menus
to explore, nothing just a bland command prompt. This is ironic
because
whilst at uni I loved wordperfect because it was a command driven
system
and I had no probs remembering all of teh keyboard commands - but
now  I
am so used to the win / mac gui) One year I became so frustrated I
pulled out my NT cd and timed myself. 30 mins exactly I had two
machines
installed and talking to each other. Plus with windows it is easy to

always know where you are (navigating folders disks etc is simple)
or to
look and work it out becuase of the gui and the ten differnet ways
one
has to achieve things in win.

To me Linux must learn from this if it is to attain wide acceptance
- IT
MUST BE EASY TO USE, IT MUST BE PLUG AND PLAY, IT MUST AUTO DETECT
EVERYTHING, DRIVERS FOR EVERYTHING MUST BE INCLUDED IN EVERY DISTRO,
IT
MUST INSTALL OR OFFER TO INSTALL APPLICATIONS WHEN OS IS LOADED
BECAUSE=
I AM STUFFED IF I HAVE BEEN ABLE TO GET RPM TO WORK !!

I luv the open source aspect of linux, I luv that Linux could
potenially
break down the MS monopoly. I feel it is a superior OS but I have to
be
able to be productive in it without having to fight the OS every
step of
the way. No-one has the time - lest they are an enthusiast - to
continually tinker - most want an easy install so they can get on
using
it to do useful things.

Please note I am not angry. I am trying to provide the viewpoint of
keen educator who keeps gettng stumped by the difficulty level of
the OS
(Linux). I have been researching ltsp for 2 months this year. In
class I
allocated two machines one with win 2K and the other for year 12
students to load Linux and use Samba to get them talking - 2 weeks
later
nothing - just a waste of time, couldn't configure the workstation
and
couldn't install samba.  And these students claimed to know how to
use
Linux! THIS cannot happen if Linux is going to be anything more than
fringe OS.

Darren Payne
Computer Coordinator
Hurlstone Agricultural High School