[seul-edu] [Fwd: reading game for ISO Project]

I'm sending this along so everyone is aware of it. I haven't tried Phil's game out yet, but I thought some of the teachers here would want to take a look at it. Phil, under what license are these files provided? If there are any restrictions on who may download them we'll have to get specific permission from you to have them included in the ISO project. Thanks for your efforts!

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: reading game for ISO Project
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2003 19:57:32 -0500
From: Phil Shapiro <pshapiro@his.com>
To: dloss@seul.org

hi doug -

thanks for taking the lead on the ISO Project. i was excited to
come across this a few minutes ago.

this past week i've been working on a fun project creating
fiction and nonfiction reading passages that can be used in a reading
game playable with any browser. one of the reasons i worked on this
project was to get this material into the hands of linux using
educators -- as well as people recycling computers.

all the fiction and nonfiction in these reading passages were
written by me, so i'm free to distribute them as i please. the
original files can be found at
http://www.his.com/pshapiro/stories.menu.html

the reading game "websequitur" files can be accessed on the web
at http://www.his.com/pshapiro/websequiturs/

i've also zipped all these html files together and put them on
the web at http://www.his.com/pshapiro/philshapirowebsequiturs.zip
it's possible to access these
same files from any hard drive, cd-rom or floppy disk so a family or
school who had a linux box without internet access could still have a
couple of hours of nice use from these files.

i hope these might be of use to the ISO Project for SEUL-edu.
i don't have access to a linux system myself and would love if this
archive could be placed on the web as a tarball (linux archive?), so
i could refer to it from the linux section of tucows. i've noticed
that there are not that many linux downloads listed at tucows and i
want to help change that. (i realize freshmeat is where most new
linux files are listed, but i'd like to draw in folks into the linux
community who look to tucows for new files.)

- phil shapiro
arlington, virginia

--
Phil Shapiro pshapiro@his.com
http://www.his.com/pshapiro/ (personal)

--
If this helped you please take the time to rate the value
of this post; just click on the Affero link below.

http://svcs.affero.net/rm.php?r=drloss

Doug Loss Courage is resistance to
Data Network Coordinator fear, mastery of fear --
Bloomsburg University not absence of fear.
dloss@bloomu.edu Mark Twain