Re: [k12L-A] Pre-Alpha Release of k12admin-server packages

On Mon, May 03, 1999 at 10:55:43AM -0700, Tonnesen Steve wrote:

> Well, I'm not done yet.  But if you want to look at what I have, I'll put
> it up on http://k12admin.cmsd.bc.ca/ in both deb and rpm format.

Thanks. I downloaded it and had a look at your work. It looks good (meaning I
stand a chance at understanding what you are trying to do). I've been looking
for a package that could work EDUML contact info into wide area network
authentication management.

Here is my idea (does this fit with your goals?):

Basically, all students in linux managed schools would have an entry
in a centrally-distributed EDUML (XML) database.

Changes made in k12admin package database would also trigger an update to the
central EDUML database (via email, http, uucp, ftp, or whatever)

Every night, or after every change, the central database distributes itself
to the local area network servers

Then k12admin database gets updated (cvs style) ... AND so do any other
educational management applications (like gradebooks) that need contact
information  or authentication info (like quizzers)

Come to think of it, the cvs model seems well suited ; perhaps the central
database should really be a CVS managed database formatted in EDUML: any
authorized teacher can modify information and there is a trace of who did what
and when.

Bruno