Re: Linux for Learning

Michael Goehring wrote:

> Perhaps a better way of stating the question is do you intend to
> create OSS alternatives for every aspect of the educational system
> including transportation, food service, library, curriculum,
> gradebook, student information system, human resources, finance, etc.?

"Intend" is perhaps a bit strong.  So long as there are data exchange
possibilities (which is what XML is for, after all) I don't think it's
necessary to duplicate every possible type of program.  However, if
someone wants to write an OSS library management system (and someone is
working on this right now) for example, I certainly won't discourage
it.  Choice is what it's all about.

> Would you be listing Misty City Software under proprietary and
> alternative if we release our applications for Linux along with Mac OS
> and Windows?

Commercial doesn't automatically mean proprietary.  If you can exchange
data easily with other programs via Import/Export functions or
preferrably XML (EDUML is our choice at the moment of course) I would
consider you to not be proprietary.  Proprietary would be if you used a
closed data format to try and force your customers to not use any
software but yours.

> >Well, Bruno and I looked at the SIF a while ago and agreed (didn't we,
> >Bruno?) that it sounded nice but it was primarily vendor-driven.  It
> >would be nice to get Bruno's EDUML work incorporated into the SIF stuff,
> >but they didn't appear to be interested.  So the vendors may be willing
> >to work with each other on the SIF Initiative, but they don't appear to
> >be willing to work with non-vendors.
>
> I don't know who you talked to, but I would certainly be willing to
> assist in getting both you and Bruno involved in the SIF Initiative.
> Let me know if you want me to help.

We'd probably better wait for Bruno to weigh in on this, but I think
we'll happily accept that offer.

> >I've addressed this above.  One more thing; piracy is rampant in the
> >educational system (at least in the US) because schools can seldom
> >afford everything they'd like.
>
> A bold statement about piracy being "rampant" in the US. I disagree
> that piracy is "rampant" due to having worked in a school district
> that educated teachers and administrators about the "do's and don'ts"
> of using proprietary software. Yes, there were individual cases of
> piracy, but not widespread piracy as you describe. Will OSS
> alternatives create an environment of compliance or promote the idea
> that every proprietary piece of software can now be pirated? Difficult
> question which only the future will answer.

Well, we've had different experiences, I guess.  As to what kind of
climate OSS will produce among users, that probably depends a lot on the
individuals introducing it and to the culture of the schools
implementing it.  I would hope that the communitarian spirit that drives
OSS would influence people to refrain from skirting the law, but as you
say only the future can answer that.

--
Doug Loss                 A life spent making mistakes is not only
Data Network Coordinator  more honorable, but more useful than a