Re: [arturo@mezcal.dyndns.org: Re: [seul-edu] Filters for SQUID]

On Sun, 21 May 2000, Arturo Espinosa Aldama wrote:
> Yes, you're right (and all of the earlier posters). The problem of
> blocking information at the IP level is that you can only block specific
> IP addresses. It is not right to block all of xoom.com, just because you
> saw a porn site in there.

I guess we are taking the oposite responce.  We are currently blocking ALL
of the internet, except for sites that we open up (currently about 200
domains).

> Still, we need a fast and easy way to let the user say "no more Internet
> traffic for the moment", without hanging up the phone. Some people have
> told me that, while the teacher is giving some class in the lab, some
> students are using the web, napster or irc.

I don't remember the redhat commands, exactly, but this is how we would do
it on our setup (debian gnu/linux).

First of all, the clients do NOT have a default route, thus they can not
get out of the local network by themselves.

Send a remote ssh command to the server (for us the server is named
manheim), ie "ssh root@manheim "/etc/init.d/squid stop".

You just stoped the proxy server, and now none of the students can access
the outside web.

> So maybe we should be using squidguard + something easier that deactivates
> ip forwarding, and that's it. I wonder if it is possible to program GNOME
> applets from Perl...

I don't do much programing... but from what our programers are saying, I
would look into python with PyGTK.

> Arturo

		Harry

--