Re: [arturo@mezcal.dyndns.org: Re: [seul-edu] Filters for SQUID]

Don't have a default gateway on the local systems.  In that way, you can
ONLY get out of your network throught the proxy server.

You can also do this with IP Chains on the router (if you are using a
linux router), and have it redirect 0.0.0.0/0 port 80 to squid.server
port 8080.

At the charterschool that I am currently typing this from, we are using
10.x.x.x addresses, using NAT on a Cisco 675 DSL router (we were
previously running a Linux Router Project, Materhorn system (2.2.x kernel
based), but have switched to PPP based RADSL from ethernet bridging DSL,
and can now have the Cisco router do the task).  It's address (internal)
is 10.1.1.1, our server is on 10.1.1.2, and the workstations (diskless)
get addresses via BOOTP from the server (as well as FS over Root Over
NFS).  The workstations are configured to have a route to 10.1.1.0/24 on
eth0, but that is it.  They can talk to our DNS server (10.1.1.2) and to
our proxy (10.1.1.2) over the localnet, but they don't know what to do
with packets that are intended for anything other that 10.1.1.x/24, and
thus they complain "no route to host", if you disable the proxy server
settings.

I am running a similar setup with an LRP firewall at Corbett Elementary
School, which just blocks port 80 requests.

			Harry

--
Harry McGregor, CEO, Co-Founder
hmcgregor@osef.org, (520) 202-OSEF (6733)