[seul-edu] Music Software

We have a new music teacher comming next year.  This is
what he wants in his own words:

"I really do need a computer that can be used in
conjunction with a synthesizer and a music notation
program to install on it.  This is essential for making
arrangements (in particular for instrumental groups),
writing music based tests, drills for the students in
skill based classes, recording and playback, etc.  The
program I had in mind is Sibelius (costs about $250).
Other smaller programs like "Cakewalk" might be helpful
also."

He also wants to know about Midi software -- which may
be included above I don't know.  In anycase, if any of
you are familiar with the music software on Linux I
would appreciate your help finding some solution for the
new teacher.  (He came on board too late to be a part of
the next year's technology budget -- but it would be a
shame to make him wait a whole year.)

Thanks in advance.

Bill
TASIS (The American School In Switzerland)
Lugano-Montagnola, Switzerland
<http://www.tasis.ch/>