Re: [Fwd: Re: [seul-edu] Open File Limit]

On Thu, 24 May 2001, Doug Loss wrote:

> owner-seul-edu@seul.org wrote:
>
> > To: seul-edu@seul.org
> > From: Michael Viron <mviron@seul.org>
> > Subject: Re: [seul-edu] Open File Limit
> >
> > At 06:54 PM 05/24/2001 +0930, you wrote:
> > >Hi,
> > >
> > >I remember reading about increasing the maximum number of open files. I've
> > >looked through some of the mailing list archives but couldn't find it. Can
> > >some-one help?
> > >
> > >Using Red Hat 7.1.
> > >
> > >Thanks
> > >Ian Sheppard
> > If I remember correctly, this depends more on what type of filesystem
> > (ext2fs or reiserfs) and what kernel, than anything else.  Let us know when
> > you get the chance,
Those are files in the filesystem, really i-nodes and suchlike,

If I'm not wrong, the number of concurrent open files is a kernel tunable
parameter /proc/sys/fs/file-max.

In my systems cat /proc/sys/fs/file-max shows 4096

If I'm right just

echo 8192 > /proc/sys/fs/file-max

from a root prompt will double de number of simultaneous open files.

Trully, no reboot needed :-)

G & S Sistemas de Informacion, S.L.  | Teléfono:  9 02 01 44 43
Victoriano Giralt                    | Land line: +34-952-207-241
Chief Consultant and Owner           | Mobile:    +34-670-332-720
Torre de San Telmo, 8                | Fax:       Use e-mail, is nicer
E-29018 Malaga (Spain)               | E-mail: vic@gssi.es
Member of ISOC (Andalusian Chapter)  | http://www.gssi.es/