Re: [seul-edu] Donated Computers Issue (cont'd)

On Tue, Apr 30, 2002 at 06:24:59PM -0700, tom poe wrote:
> It is a legal requirement that pre-installed operating systems remain with
> the computer for the life of the computer.

Before we go spreading our own (mis)information in the other direction,
can we investigate this a bit further? If we give them the benefit of
the doubt for a moment, surely there's *some* grain of truth in this.

If anybody has the fine-print-Windows-license, does it say anything
about this? Did they do any deals with major distributors like Dell to
create such a restriction? I mean, in theory they could put it in their
you-use-it-you-bought-it license, right? Is the only reason we 'know'
their statement is wrong that it's predatory and monopolistic?

I mean, their statement is false -- I buy my computers from a fine
place called www.kc-computers.com (for example, that's where I got the
machine running seul.org), and when I say "no operating system please"
he's just fine with that. But there's a big difference between "I'm an
exception so your statement isn't totally correct" and "Your statement
doesn't apply to anybody."

Hm.

--Roger