Re: [seul-edu] Donated Computers announcement, Take III

On Sun, 5 May 2002, Leon Brooks wrote:

> Take 3, please criticise, and please offer more positive spin!

My comments below:

> SchoolForge[0] group today, spokesman Leon Brooks refuted statements on

Have the links below. But don't reference them in the article itself.

> acceptance of donated computers by schools and other needy organisations.

I guess it doesn't matter what version of "English" is used since the PR
is going to different places. Maybe if sent to US media, use
"organizations" (with the "z").

> "Using Linux, OpenOffice.org and other Open Source software, a school or

I personally don't capitalize "open source".

> charity can safely accept almost any donated computer," he said. "Simply wipe
> it and replace the software with Linux[1] and Open Source applications[2],

It would be nice to mention "BSD" somewhere in this article. But this is
the "seuL" list. Nevertheless, it is a schoolforge announcement covering
"open resources" (like BSD).

> Mr Brooks also noted that Linux removed many of the burdens, costs and legal

"Mr" is not needed. And isn't used by many international media style
guides.

> The price tag is also attractive. "School decisions are often dominated by
> cost; much Open Source software is available at little or no cost, and runs
> well on donated computers," Mr Brooks explained, "Linux is easy to set up as
> a fast diskless workstation or `thin client', so many schools are rolling out
> networks using this technology with both donated and new equipment.

End quote needed (in journalism).

> "On top of this, Open Source software is immune to almost all existing
> viruses, has an excellent security record, is extremely reliable, and in an
> educational setting often provides a deeper involvement in computers than
> programs deliberately designed for the classroom."

And attribute that paragraph again ... Brooks said. (Make it easy for the
media to choose and use the paragraphs.)

> Núñez, Daniel Estrada and Jacques Ackerman after sponsoring a Bill to require

Probably "bill" should be lowercase, unless you specify the particular
bill.

> and adherence to standards (interoperability). The ecological advantages of
> keeping computers and toxic parts out of landfill speak for themselves.

Is the ecological advantages mentioned in this specific Peruvian bill? If
not, place in different paragraph or cut it -- even though it is
interesting.)

> The Simple End User Linux group has dozens of case studies from real schools
> on line[7] showing the immediate financial advantages of this strategy, and

online or on-line. Or "... from real schools showing ..."

> Leon also uses and recommends membership in the Perth Linux User Group. His

Too location specific.

> business is 100% Linux and Open Source, and so (except for one Macintosh) is
> his household; there are Linux applications that his wife would fight to
> keep.

Interestingh anecdote, but probably not relevant to this article.

Good work Leon!

   Jeremy C. Reed
   http://www.reedmedia.net/