[seul-edu] Re: [OS:N:] A cry for help,

Well, first-things-first, have Tim sign up for the K12LTSP list,
https://listman.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/k12osn  Since we're all
working on the same problem set, this would be a good place to look
for help. For the heavy-technical LTSP questions, joing the LTSP
discuss list http://www.ltsp.org/mailinglists.php

Take OpenOffice, for example. I've had multi-user OpenOffice
packages available for some time now. Here's links the latest:

ftp://k12linux.mesd.k12.or.us/pub/distributions/testing/K12LTSP-2.1.0-beta/RPM/OpenOffice-suite-1.0-3.i386.rpm

ftp://k12linux.mesd.k12.or.us/pub/distributions/testing/K12LTSP-2.1.0-beta/RPM/OpenOffice-suite-configs-1.0-3.noarch.rpm

Also be sure to check out Stefan Furtmayr's FAQ:
http://www.bn-paf.de/k12ltsp/tips.html

-Eric

On Sun, 12 May 2002, Chris Calise wrote:

>Hello Paul ,
>we are working on setting up a LTSP at a local middle school. Tim
Rogers
trogers@head-start.lane.or.us from Head Start asked our local Linux
folks for some help, but  I don't think anyone has volunteered yet.
I thought you might be able to give him some guidance. I wish I
could help but I am more the activist side of our efforts here in
Lane County. We are deploying soon, perfect or not. We are trying to
form a cohesive group here to offer training and mentoring. We also
need to work on hardware. But I do believe, like you, that having
this as user friendly as possible is the only way to assure
acceptance by schools.

>Here is Tim's post:
>
>> Actually, what I would like is some help in setting up - and
documenting
>> - a limited, user-proof configuration of LTSP. It really is more
of a
>> security and Window Manager (XFce is what I am leaning toward)
issue
>> than a LTSP issue.
>>
>> I have a working LTSP network - using two Ethernet cards and a
private
>> subnet like L12LTSP does - working. What I need is for someone
with some
>> time to give to tweak the setup, optimize the XFree86-4
configuration