Re: [seul-edu] ISO criterion: interlingual

On Saturday 11 May 2002 15:24, Dirk Schouten wrote:
> May I propose a criterion (apart from all educational ones) to evaluate
> programs for usefullness?

> Criterion: Is the language used in the program easily adaptable?

If it uses GNU's .po files, yes. If not, but it comes with source, moderately
(part of that GNU package has a helper tool for converting .po-unaware
software).

> IMHO this is an important criterion for all non-English pupils using the
> software on the future ISO.

Stringly agree. Even though, for all practical purposes, English is all I
speak. )-:

My own corporate website has a reasonable compromise: Google will translate
for me (http://cyberknights.com.au, look at the bottom of each page). This
still doesn't (yet) help Nederlanders directly, but at least they can get a
second opinion in German and French.

Cheers; Leon