[seul-edu] wine testing efforts

One of the major things I've run across in the Red Hat pilot is that
most of the schools would really like to keep running most of the
educational software they have.  If they are interested in moving to
Linux, right now this means Wine (with a couple of exceptions).

Here are some preliminary Wine testing results from different sites here
in North Carolina.  Test platform was RHL 7.3, updated with the 0512
build of of the basic Wine (obtained from http://www.linux-easy.com/daily/).

If anyone has tried any similar applications or has done some serious
testing, I'd love to hear about it.

We should probably database-ize this at some point. :)

Note that the commercial Codeweavers Crossover product
(www.codeweavers.com) is known to handle Office much better than the
basic Wine.

*****

Microsoft Office 2000:  Partially functional

Office 2000 installs fairly well.  DO NOT install the Office Assistant
-- he will crash Wine everytime he starts up.  If you don't have an
Everything Red Hat Linux install, there are complaints about fonts --
looking into this.  Even with the font problems, the apps seem okay.
Known working:

Word 2000
Excel 2000
PowerPoint 2000

OLE functionality (cross-program transfers, like putting an Excel
spreadsheet into an Word Document) does not appear to work.  Access and
FrontPage both require IE 3.0 or higher -- the IE 5.0 installation
included with my CD did NOT work, so those two are out for the time being.

This is probably the easiest of applications to replace (OpenOffice.org,
StarOffice) in the grand scheme of things because most people do not use
90% of the included functionality.  The major block we've run into is
that some business education units concentrate on Microsoft
certification and application-specific training.

*****

Riverdeep Pre-K software:

Riverdeep/Edmark "ABCs and 123s" -- seems to be fully functional on 7.3
(with updated wine)

Riverdeep/Edmark "Trudy's Time and Place House" -- partially functional
on updated RHL7.3, has a redraw issue that prevents proper function.

Riverdeep/Edmark "Sammy's Science House" -- partially functional on
updated RHL7.3, has a redraw issue that prevents proper function.

Riverdeep/Edmark "Millie's Math House" -- partially functional on
updated RHL7.3, has a redraw issue that prevents proper function.

Riverdeep/Edmark "Travel the World with Timmy! Deluxe" -- nonfunctional
under updated RHL7.3, needs DirectX 7.0 or better(winex?)

Riverdeep/Edmark "Thinkin' Things: Toony the Loon's Lagoon" --
nonfunctional on RHL7.3, but also nonfunctional on Windows system, so
status is unknown (corrupted CD?  incompatibility with Win98?).

I was disappointed in how this turned out.  Most of this software is or
was very recently Win3.1 compatible, which would imply better Wine
compatibility in my mind.

*****

Orchard Software:

Nonfunctional.  The demo installs, but apparently the database fails to
initialize and you can't get to any of the lessons.  I'm still working
on this one, because it is important here in NC.

*****

NCS Mentor for Virginia Schools:

Mostly functional.  A couple of minor display issues, but the program
works, even running off of a Samba share.

*****

SIFS -- a Windows-based Student Information System in use in Virginia.
Appears to be fully functional, but probably needs further testing.

*****

SIMS -- a DOS-based SIS.  Folks here have it running with
dosemu/FreeDOS, there are issues with printing (should be solved) and
with backup, which is done with a Zip disk.  We also have contact with
the maintainer, so this should be okay.

--
Matt Drew
Red Hat, Inc