[seul-edu] [Fwd: Re: Question about SLIS]

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: Question about SLIS
Date: Mon, 19 May 2003 13:39:51 +0200
From: Bruno Bzeznik <Bruno@ac-grenoble.fr>
To: Doug Loss <drloss@suscom.net>

Yes, I would be glad if you put it on your iso! But the problem is that SLIS is not really an application that you can install on a running host. It is not useable by teachers by this way. It's a set of scripts that will make a running server into a big network of SLIS servers. It needs a dedicated host and a central "man and host power". SLIS has its own ISO image that you must use to begin an installation. Can you only put some docs and links instead of putting files that will never been usable?

For your information, more than 1000 schools are using SLIS (perhaps 2000 today... I've not made the sum ;-) :

http://slis.ac-grenoble.fr/deploiement.html

Doug Loss wrote:
Bruno,

As you may know, we're working on an ISO of educational software <http://www.seul.org/edu/iso.html> for Linux at the SEUL/edu project.
Our main requirement for applications to be included on this ISO is that
they be scholastically useful (we're focusing on K12 schools). We've been evaluating as many of the apps that we know about as we can, but the effort is languishing as many volunteer projects do. I've determined that any app that is currently being used in one or more schools has de facto demonstrated that it is scholastically useful and has passed our Phase 2 evaluation.

That brings me to my question. I know that SLIS currently in use in schools. Do you think we should include it on our ISO? If so, I can put it on the Phase 2 list. Thanks for your help!

Bruno Bzeznik - Bruno@ac-grenoble.fr
CARMI-Internet - Academie de Grenoble
http://www.ac-grenoble.fr/carmi-internet
http://slis.ac-grenoble.fr

If this helped you please take the time to rate the value
of this post; just click on the Affero link below.

http://svcs.affero.net/rm.php?r=drloss

Doug Loss                 Courage is resistance to
Data Network Coordinator  fear, mastery of fear --
Bloomsburg University     not absence of fear.
dloss@bloomu.edu           Mark Twain