[seul-edu] Results of subscriber survey

As most of you know, I sent private messages to all the subscribers on
this list a bit over three weeks ago, asking about their skills and
interests.  At that time we had a few over 170 subscribers; I got 39
list messages and don't post to the list.  I think that's a _very_ good
rate of return.

I've gone through all the responses and collated the information in
them.  In some cases I had to make some mild assumptions to get all the
skills and interests to fit into a manageable number of categories.
Here is the breakdown of skills (by numbers of people listing them) the
respondents listed:

System administration--17
C & C++ programming--10
PERL programming--8
Writing--5
HTML--4
Java programming--3
PHP3--2
Software--2
Project management--1
SGML--1
Hardware--1
Digital audio--1

Next is a breakdown of the interests of the respondents, also by the
number listing them.  Here in particular I've had to make assumptions.
The category "Language software" includes spelling, grammar, and foreign
language learning.  "Advocacy" includes anyone who is trying to get
Linux into his or her local schools.  "Documentation" includes anyone
who is thinking about writing up instructions for others to install,
configure, or use Linux.  "Translation" is people who mentioned speaking
multiple languages (I'm assuming a willingness to help with making the
"Documentation" mentioned above available in as many languages as
possible).  Here's the list:

Advocacy--8
Documentation--7
Administrative software--6
Elementary software--6
Mathematics software--5
Translation--4
Quiz and drill software--4
WWW educational courses--3
Language software--3
Edutainment--3
Science software--3
Linux as a CS learning tool--2
User interfaces--2
Software standards--1
Finding existing educational software for Linux--1
Defining educational software--1
Logo language--1

It's probably important to note that all of these skills and interests
were mentioned by the respondents by themselves, without having been
offered categories to choose from.  As such, they probably show what's
of most immediate interest to them, but don't preclude interests in
other topics that didn't occur to them (including some of the topics
that other respondents mentioned).  What I mean is that items with only
a few people showing an interest in them are probably under-represented
to some extent.

Even though this list covers less that a quarter of our subscribers, I
think some trends are clear.  We have a sizeable group of people with
experience administering systems, and who can program in C, C++, and
PERL.  They're strongly interested in getting Linux into their local
schools, and sharing information on how to do so with others.  They see
a need for a wide variety of (currently non-existent or
difficult-to-find) software for Linux, most particularly administrative
software and software for younger students.

What can we do with this info?  Since I have the mailing addresses of
everyone who showed an interest in each category, if no one objects I'll
try to put together "task groups" in some of these categories and see if
we can get some efforts going in them.  Once I get those set up I'll
make sure the members are willing to be part of the groups and solicit
group leaders to act as "noodges," a fine Yiddish word meaning someone
who makes things happen by making getting things done less irritating
than continuing to listen to the noodge.  (Sort of like me.)  Think of
the grain of sand that causes an oyster to create a pearl.