Re: [seul-edu] WebVC special yppasswd

On Fri, 12 Nov 1999, Daniel Dent wrote:

> As far as security goes, nis has made it useless for us to have shadow
> passwords, as one can always do a "ypcat passwd".  We haven't experimented
> with NIS+ yet, but this should allow us to re-establish shadow passwords.
> With (I believe the latest) version of NIS that we are using, we must
> specify the server rather than broadcasting on the subnet, so this makes
> it more secure as someone may not simply run another server and have
> computers use it.

Having experienced NIS+, I would reccommend staying away from it. Other
than my general dislike for it, it's not well supported in Linux yet. You
might consider looking into LDAP though.

--
Michael Hamblin            http://www.utdallas.edu/~michaelh/
michaelh@utdallas.edu      http://www.ductape.net/